Curtis, Martha
Correspondence and Ephemera of Martha Curtis and her fiancé and later her husband, oil producer Warren E. Burns, of Marietta, Ohio, 1903-1966

Collection of 261 letters, 1951 pages, (with 243 retained mailing envelopes), dated 1903-1966, the bulk date from the years 1900-1920, and almost all are hand written. There are also over 360 pieces of ephemera as follows: 94 calling cards, greeting cards, and invitations, for Burns/Curtis family and friends; 59 black and white photographs, various sizes, includes snapshots and cabinet cards; 34 photographic negatives; 54 printed items concerning church, school, social activities, including brochures, circulars, pamphlets, programs, ad books, commencement exercises, etc; 44 pieces of either typed, or manuscript material, some multi-pages, includes notes, prose, prose, list of books, etc.; 41 newspaper clippings, some informative of the Burns/Curtis family; 17 printed and manuscript receipts; 13 used envelopes, some could be matched to letters in collection; 3 used postcards; and 3 telegrams, all dated c1890-1960

$ 1750.00 | Contact Us >

Martha Curtis (1890-1979) and Warren E. Burns (1885-1968)

Martha Curtis was born September 1890 in Missouri, the daughter of Jessie Reynolds (1858-1892) and Alphonso D. Curtis (1855-1925). Martha's mother died in 1892 when Martha was only two years old and she went to live with her grandfather at Delaware, Ohio, where she is found in the 1900 Census listed as a ten year old student. Her grandfather, Richard W. Reynolds, was 80 years old and listed as a retired merchant. He had been in the clothing business. He had been established at Delaware, Ohio, since at least the 1840s, having emigrated from Wales.  Martha's father is not listed in her grandfather's household in 1900, thus he must have moved away to start another family perhaps. Martha next shows up in the paper records as the wife of Warren Edward Burns. Somewhere along the way she picked up three years of college, possibly at Wesleyan University, where her future husband was also a student.

Martha married Warren Edward Burns 15 November 1911. The couple made their home in Marietta, Ohio, where they raised their three daughters: Mary Jane, Joan E., and Patricia L. Their oldest daughter Mary Jane was born in Ohio about 1916. Their second daughter Joan E. was born in Michigan in 1922 and their third daughter Patricia L. was born in Ohio about 1925, thus the family appears to have briefly moved to Michigan in the early 1920s, before returning to Ohio. In the 1920 Census, Flora Burns, Warren's mother, was living with Warren and his family. The three daughters were living with their parents as per the 1930 Census, but when the 1940 Census was taken, only Patricia, age 15, was still living at home.

Warren Edward Burns was born 18 September 1885 at Petrolia, Pennsylvania. He was the son of Henry H. Burns (1849-1909) and his wife, Flora Jane Smith (1856-1941). Warren appears to have been an only child, a sister died in infancy. He received his primary and high school education in the schools of Mannington, West Virginia and Marietta, Ohio. His father was listed in 1900 as an "oil producer" at Mannington Town, West Virginia.  Henry H. Burns was born at Toronto, Ohio. He had lost his father at the age of 16. He followed this loss by going to Pennsylvania to work in the oil fields. He prospered enough to go into the oil business for himself, being associated with Burns Oil Co., H.H. Burns & Co., and the J.M. Emory Co. He was also later one of the directors of the German National Bank at Marietta. Henry married his wife about the year 1884.

 Warren's father Henry died in 1909. There are condolence letters in this collection written to his wife from family and friends. Warren graduated Wesleyan University A.B. in 1909. He was active when in college, being a member of the Jester Club, President of the Senior Class, President of the Officers Club, Manager of the Track Team, and a member of a fraternity and other clubs.

Burns made his home in Marietta, Ohio at 519 Fourth Street, a large Victorian home with a wrap-around porch which is still standing. Warren, his mother, and a widowed aunt moved to Marietta after the death of his father to be near family, an uncle (John Burns) who operated a cigar factory in town.

By 1910, Warren was listed in the oil producing business, presumably taking over his father’s business after his death. Warren became manager of Burns & Burns Co., as well as the Gladys Oil Co., and D.C. Burns & Co. Burns had leases and ownership of a number of productive oil wells in both Ohio and Pennsylvania.  He was a stockholder and owner with others of the Proctor Farm Gas company, owners of the big Broadhurst well. His WWI draft registration card listed him as a self-employed oil producer. He not only handles the office, but is also out in the field checking on leases, and helping his men do repair work.

In 1920 and 1930 he still is listed as an "oil producer," however by the 1935 Marietta City Directory, he was listed as the superintendent of the Monongahela System. In 1940 he was listed as a manager of an electric company. His WWII draft registration card stated he worked for "West Penn Public Service," a local company in Marietta. Later (1945-1949), he was manager of the Marietta Electric Company. In 1947, Burns is described in a newspaper clipping as being the President of the Marietta Chamber of Commerce. Another newspaper clipping in this collection shows that Burns was arrested for drunk driving in 1949. A newspaper clipping in 1951 noting Burns’ 50th wedding anniversary, stated he was the manager of the Monongahela Power Company in Marietta for twenty years and that he and his wife met in college at Ohio Wesleyan University. By 1955 Burns may have been retired.

Besides his oil business, Warren was active in politics, serving as a Republican State Representative in the Ohio House during the 84th General Assembly (1921-22) for Washington County. He also served on the board of Ohio Wesleyan University and on the board of several other Ohio companies. He was a Scottish Rite Mason and a member of Knights Templar and a Mystic Shriner.

Warren E. Burns died at Delaware, Ohio, on 19 March 1968. He was buried at Oak Grove Cemetery at Delaware. His wife Martha died 22 September 1979 at Washington Court House, in Fayette County, Ohio.

One letter dated 1957 shows Martha and Warren's daughter Mary Jane had moved to San Antonio, Texas, married a man by the name of Floyd James. Mary Jane, like her father, had a problem with alcohol. She had become an alcoholic and the lengthy letter describes in detail her five day stay at the state mental institution, and after that going to A.A. meetings to stay sober. Mary Jane was married a second time to a man named Hoult. Another lengthy letter of 1951 gives a detailed account of her trip to Germany, via England, where she appears to be working in some capacity as a civil servant, or special branch of the military. She died in 1988.

Description of Collection:

112 letters totaling 1196 pp., (109 envelopes), dated 1910-1926, of Warren E. Burns, to Martha Curtis, both before and after they married, bulk of the letters dated 1910-1911(they married in 1911). The letters are generally posted from Burns' home at Marietta, to Martha at Delaware, Ohio. The letters describe the courtship the engagement, and marriage of the couple. There are also details in the letters about Warren's oil business, his fraternal activities, the country club in Marietta that he helped to establish, early automobile travel and a bad accident, amongst other social activities in Marietta.

44 letters 460 pp., (44 envelopes), dated 1910-1923, of Martha Curtis to Warren E. Burns, both before and after they married, the bulk of letters date from 1910-1911 (they married in 1911). Martha writes from her home in Delaware, Ohio, to Burns at Marietta. Occasionally she posts letters from other places where she may be staying for a summer vacation (Pennsylvania).

39 incoming letters 124 pp., (36 envelopes), dated 1923-1966, to Warren E. Burns and his wife Martha Curtis, written by their children: Patricia Burns Butscher (5) and Mary Jane James (34). Many of Mary Jane's letters were written as a child, when she was attending summer camp. A couple letters were written when she was an adult. These letters are of interest as they show her serving in some branch of military service in 1951, as well as being committed to a state hospital for alcoholism in 1957, she describes her efforts to grapple with her addiction eventually she goes to "A.A." meetings to get sober.

42 incoming letters 102 pp., (39 envelopes), dated 1908-1934, to Flora Burns, mother of Warren E. Burns, the bulk are condolence letters from 1909 after her husband died. Other letters from 1932-1934 concern her brother James and his old age. James is dependent for his financial support on oil royalty checks, as he is 83 years old.

24 miscellaneous letters, 69 pp., (15 envelopes), dated 1903-1961, these are letters written to, or by members of the Burns/Curtis family, and/or by friends, or associates, includes 9 letters written to Martha Curtis, by other friends and family members.

Examples of Letters:

Warren E. Burns' letters to Martha Curtis recount his days in Marietta, separated from his girl-friend. The relationship appears to have just begun. At one point Burns asks Martha to wear his fraternity pin, the first step in getting engaged for a fraternity man at that time. The letters also mention Burns' work in the oil business, visiting his various leases, making repairs, etc. He also mentions his activities in Marietta, taking in shows, etc. Here are sample quotes from a couple of letters from this period:

[May 4, 1910]

            My dear Martha: -

    ...Yesterday was circus day in Marietta and we surely had some large time. Forepaugh and Sells Bros. was the attraction and it drew a good sized crowd at both performances! The show arrived here Sunday morning and I wish you might have seen the crowd standing around watching it unload. It surely was a sight. Then when they had everything unloaded and transferred to the circus grounds, the crowd all followed and assisted by their presence in erecting the tents, feeding the horses and preparing the meals. My two visitors and I did not fool around the circus at all, but I took them up to the country club and to our new Elmwood Club which has just started. In the latter there are 17 young men here and we have the cutest little cottage and 25 acres of ground six miles up the river about five minutes walk from the car line. The cottage is situated about a hundred feet from the river up on the bank and in front of it is the prettiest green grass you ever saw sloping down to the river with a level strip about midway between the cottage and the river...The country club does not formally open for some two weeks yet, but the clubhouse is always open to members and they have been using the golf course every day that the weather has been fit. That is a game I do not care for particularly altho I suspect it is quite an interesting one when one learns to play it well....

Do you know I went to the circus yesterday twice. Isn't that the limit. Howard and I went in the afternoon to the side show and all and then as I said before he went to Parkersburg in the evening. Last evening a friend of mine and I took it in again on a couple of complimentaries which entitled us to two of the best seats in the tent. I guess I had my fill of circuses for once in my life. It really is a very good circus though and with some of the prettiest horses I ever saw.  On Sunday afternoon one of their finest horses died and two of their men were seriously injured. One of them fell from the top of one of their high wagons and alighted on his head on the pavement fracturing his skull at the base of the brain. The paper stated last evening that he could not possibly live. The other fellow was not so seriously injured. The elephant, of which he was the keeper, became enraged at him and picked him up with his trunk and slammed on the ground breaking three of his ribs and injuring his back. I understand he will recover all right. The elephant that hurt him is the mother of the one that caused the stampede in Danville, Ill a week or two ago. I remember seeing it in the papers...So ever yours, Warre

[May 13, 1910]

My dear Martha:-

...The college here is holding a carnival very similar to the one we had at Delaware for two years. I went up to take it in last night and it surely did bring back old memories. They had a very creditable carnival and I enjoyed myself to the fullest extent for two and a half hours. It is on again tonight and I may go up if I don't anything more exciting to do. I am sort of expecting 'Bucko' Weaver to blow in tonight to stay over Sunday with me and if he comes I think we shall have to take in the carnival for sure because you know 'Bucko' would enjoy anything of that sort. One of the stunts they had was a slide from the balcony to the first would go up sit down on a piece of carpet and come down that trough like greased lightening and then land with an awful jolt on the mats at the bottom. It was quite exciting. Then they had a minstrel show which was very clever. They had a parody of about ten verses on 'Has Anybody Here Seen Kelly?' They took a rap at most of the faculty members. The fortune telling booth was quite popular too and had a full house most of the time. I went and I would hate to repeat what she told me. It is a good think it was dark or I am afraid I would blushed openly. As it was I blushed in secret. I think this 'lady' must have been a man dressed as a woman for I don't believe a 'loidy' would have said to me what she did...As ever, Bob"

    Warren is often called "Bob" or "Bobbie" by Martha, her nickname for him. In another letter of 1910, Warren relates to Martha a serious car accident that he was in. The car, a brand new 1910 40 hp Jackson, was destroyed

[June 13, 1910]

My dear Martha: -

...Friday evening I attended the Delta Upsilon commencement reception and ball and we surely had some dandy time. They started to dance about 9 o'clock and it was 5 minutes of 4 when they stopped. I never heard Wrights play any better than they did that night. We surely enjoyed it I took my lady down in the taxi cab, but some thing happened that they could not come for us when the dance was over, so I asked a little friend of mine who was there to take us home with him in his new 40 horse power Jackson. He has only had it a few weeks and as he only had three passengers with him he said he would be delighted to have us go with him. Well after the dance was over he thought he would give us a joy ride and kind of awaken us, so he started up Second Street just as fast as the machine could travel and take it from me the machine can go some and we were making something like 40 miles an hour. We came to the end of the street or rather where the street turns into another street and I begged him to set the brakes because I realized that we could never make that turn. Well be did set the brakes, but it was too late and we could not make the turn and crashed into a telephone pole completely wrecking the machine on one side and throwing us all out. I hit on my head and hands, but fortunately was not hurt to amount to anything. The three girls were all thrown out but luckily were not seriously injured. One of the girls had her back wrenched, but I think she is getting along nicely now. Everyone who saw the car and has seen the place where the accident took place are at a loss to know how we escaped alive. It is certainly a miracle and I think a kindly providence for being able to write to you to day. I have about recovered from the shock and feel about as good as new...Yours as ever, Bob"

    In another letter Warren relates his work activities, which included more than just office work for his oil company:

[June 26, 1910]
"My dear Martha:

I suspect you think I have forgotten you, but I really haven't. I have just been the busiest thing you ever saw this week and I have actually been working and hard too out in the hot sun. I have hopes of acquiring a fairly respectable coat of tan within a week or two. I came very nearly going away from this "Vale of Tears" again last Friday. You see it all came about like this. I was helping one of the jumpers on the lease and we were trying to get a belt wheel off from the shaft and had a round piece of iron about 1 ½ inches in diameter and about 4 feet long. Well I was holding one end of the iron against the shaft while the other fellow swung the sledge on the other end. Just as he went to strike once I moved the iron a little and the sledge glanced off the end of the iron and missed my head just about a half an inch. The jumper was so frightened he was weak and could scarcely swing the sledge. A little later in the day, after we had finished the other job, I was helping to start one of the gas engines and I cam very close to getting caught in the fly wheel which of course would have meant a broken arm at least. I thought that was enough for one day so I quit and returned to the hotel about 4:30. I don't know what is the matter with me, but I think there is something wrong because I have had so many close calls here lately and have gotten off so fortunately each time....As ever yours, Bob"

            By Nov 1911, Warren & Martha were married:

[Nov 9, 1911]

"My Dearest Love:-

One week from tonight at this time if nothing happens you will be the possessor of a very happy husband and I shall have the sweetest, dearest, prettiest little wife in all the land. Just think of dearie, this time next week and you will be Mrs. W. E. Burns...Your own, Bob"

     Some of the letters from 1914-1926, have Warren writing to Martha while he was either in Marietta or on the road working, and she was either away at Bay View, Michigan, in the summer, on holiday, or visiting her family at Delaware, Ohio. One letter describes a particular hard time driving his car in West Virginia, where the roads were horrible:

[Aug 1, 1914]

My Dear,

    Will write you a little letter this morning the first thing. We arrived here [Mannington, WV] last night at 6:30 fast time. We did not get started from home until ten minutes after eight slow time. The first thing we got stuck in the sand above Reno and there was four machines stuck there at the same time, so we all pushed each other out. Just below that place we were waiting for a Ford to get up a sandy hill and you know the road is torn up and you have to go away down below the road and there was a fellow working up on the road and he yelled down to Uncle Jim and of course he didn't hear him and we punched him and told him some one was yelling at him, so he looked up and the fellow shouted 'I guess you don't know me this morning' and Uncle Jim, of course didn't hear what the guy said, but he yelled back 'Yes, I'll be back the middle of next week.' I just shouted and laughed it was so ridiculous. We went on without further mishap until we came to Center Point and then believe me we hit some of the worst roads I ever drove over. For about 25 miles I had to fight the wheel and change gears. About six miles from Mgton we had a puncture in the back tire. We picked up an old horse shoe nail some place. Then when we were about a mile from here they are all torn up paving and it was simply awful. We hung up there on a big pile of dirt, but we finally got over. I though of you all day and wished you were along dearie, we surely did climb some hills. I don't think we have ever climbed such hills before. One hill I though we were not going to get up on low speed. The roads, till we were within 25 miles of here, were a pleasant surprise to us. They were great. The bad roads were in the locality of so much drilling and the heavy teaming has cut them up. We passed a lot of those big wells...Yours, Bobbie"

    During this time (1914), Warren's oil business begins to take a turn for the worse due to possibly the war, or at least he is blaming it on the war:

"Aug 7, 1914

My Sweetheart:-

...You had not heard the news evidently concerning the situation in the oil business. It is just as I wrote you. Neither the Pure or the Standard are buying any oil. If you had ten thousand barrels you could not sell any of it. We will have to shut down our wells or else erect tanks and that wont' pay as it would cost more than the oil was worth to do it. I can't see where I am going to pay the man as I have no money and can't sell any oil. We have stopped the drilling wells and will shut down the pumping wells within a week. I am mighty sorry I can't come up, but it is absolutely impossible to do so. I have to be right here to keep in touch with the situation. This is the most serious thing that ever happened to the oil industry. I went down street last night and ran into Deputy and we rode around together for a little while and then I came up here and went to bed. I saw Mr. Green the pipe line manager here and he gave me the dope straight, so I know what to expect...If those damn fool Germans get a good licking once and quick business will pick up again. Believe me it is dead here except the saloons. Leideckers Tool Co., The Pattin Bros Co., and a number of others are going to shut down until the situation clears up a little. The Standard Oil Co. let 800 men go yesterday...Lots and lots of love, Bobbie"

"August, 10, 1914

Dear 'Honey Love'

    ...All I want to do is have a talk with the boys and tell them what is liable to happen. There is no use to buy tanks and store the oil because to break even and pay for the tanks we would have to get $2.00 per barrel for the oil and I am afraid it will be a long long time before we see $2.00 oil again if ever. You see it would cost considerable over $100 for each tank we put up and they only hold 65 barrels when they are full, so you see that isn't a paying proposition. The oil men think that conditions will improve within the next 30 or 60 days and believe me I hope they do before winter comes on, or we will be up against it. I have been busier than a cat today running around paying the bills. I told them all I had no idea when I could pay them again...Your own 'Bobbie'"

[Oct 22, 1918]

"Martha Dear:-

...The epidemic is very bad here now. I was talking to Dr. McGee, the health officer this morning and he said every doctor in town had made not less than 50 calls yesterday and that there were 500 cases in town. Some families are all sick with no one to look after them. I am spraying my nose and gargling with a solution supposed to kill the germs. Mr. Morelock, the reservoir contractor, died night before last and they took his body to Columbus yesterday morning. It is certainly awful. His wife is in a Columbus hospital with a two weeks old baby. Isn't that sad? Mr. Hayes and Mr. Gates are better, but they latter is not taking any chances. Hayes was at the office this morning, but I kept as far away from him as I could. I told him he ought to have remained in the house for several days longer...Yours 'Bobbie'"

[July 27, 1932]

My dear mother:

...Well I was over to Fairmont on Monday to see Mr. Bailey. He sent for me. I took Janie and Rose along and they explored the town while I was talking to Mr. Bailey. I had to fill out all kinds of application blanks and answer about forty seven questions and ended up by going to a doctor for a physical examination. I thought I was joining the Army or something. These papers have to go to the powers that be for approval, I suppose. I had a notion to tell them to take the job and stick it. I never had applied to them for the job they came to me. I am to go over there the first week in August for two months training, which means I can't go up after Martha, I can't take Mary Jane up to College. In fact the order of my life and habits are going to be completely changed, and I feel exactly like I had or was going to join the Army or going to the Pen. I have been my own boss too long I guess. Another think I don't see how I am going to look after my own business and be tied down the way I am supposed to be. I did not know St. Mary's, W.Va., was to be under my management too, but it is, so is Belmont, Bens Run, and several others. Maybe I can handle it, but just at this moment I have serious doubts. Inferiority complex I guess....Love Warren"

     Two later letters of Mary Jane Burns, Warren and Martha’s daughter, show that she was employed in some sort of civil service work for the military, she went abroad to Nuremburg, Germany. Another letter dates from six years later as she tried to overcome her alcoholism:

"Aboard the General Rose

Apr. 20, 1951

Dear Mom & Dad,

     “...Well to bring you up on the events so far, they sure put us through the paces at Fort Harrison. No one met me, so I had to go out in a cab which cost me $3.50. All I can say is that Ft. Harrison is a grim and dismal place. It's about 18 miles from Indianapolis and was closed after the war. They are just starting to reactivate it so the facilities are meager. We were billeted in a wooden structure which had been used for prisoners during the war, so you can imagine what it was like, bare floor, no closets, no dressers, curtains hanger or any convenience. There were 9 of us in one room (9 cots) and fourteen of us using one bathroom (there were some WAC officers living in the quarters too). The first day or so we ate in something called the consolidate mess hall and believe me, it was a mess. Wooden benches, tables, etc. We even had to clean or rather scrap our trays after eating...

    ...We left late Monday afternoon for New York on the Spirit of St. Louis, and got in the next morning. Everyone was tired and on the bedraggled side including myself....But let me tell you about the uniforms. It is very attractive, it isn't navy, but the exact shade of the air force uniform, kind of a slate blue, straight skirt and fitted jacket, looks identically like the uniform of an air stewardess, the patch is blue and white and the coat is the same color as an army officers trench coat, kind of slate grey, same style, too with straps across the shoulders, etc. The bag is navy calf and plenty roomy. Looks like the bags the waves carry...

    Last night we entered the English Channel and I watched the ship approach Southampton. It really was something to see land again, and all the lights along the shore. A great number of people got off the ship here. Many dependants and many many air force officers, captains, majors, colonels, etc. Never saw so much big brass on one ship. We even got a 2 star general on board. Also a lot of engineer officers got off today. I also glad to see a lot of the kids get off - of which there were many. All were going either to France or England. They let us go ashore about 10 o'clock this morning and stay until 1:30 this afternoon. I went along with a girl who had been in Panama then Japan...she' snow on the way to Austria...I thought the town was picturesque and saw what was left of the medieval wall which surrounded the city also many war ruins. It was my first introduction to what the late war really did. It practically flattened the town and there are ruins everywhere. The British aren't building it up very fast either - lack of funds I suppose, although I did see several new buildings under construction...

    ...We are supposed to get into Bremenhaven late tomorrow night or early Monday morning. We take a train from there Monday night and will be in Nuremburg sometime Tuesday....Lots of love to all, Janie"

"Dec 18, 1957

Dear Mom & Dad,

    I truly meant to write you a week ago, but practically all of my time has been devoted to A.A.. Perhaps I should begin the story at the beginning.

    Of course, for some time, I have realized that I had to do something about my problem which became progressively worse. Indirectly, I have the Shrine Chapter here to thank as they were the ones who sent me to the lawyer who it turned out was a member of A.A. I went to consult him about another problem and he eventually told me about A.A; later about the State hospital they have here. It still did not register until one morning Floyd took me over to be interviewed for a job. Well, I looked terrible that morning and felt worse (shakes, etc.). Fortunately the personnel manager was busy, so he didn't see me. It was then I realized that even if I had gotten the job, I certainly could not have been able to hold it. So, I decided to go to the A.A. central office. The man who was there had spent considerable time in the State hospital and gave a glowing account of what they could do. Therefore, I decided to give it a try (not knowing what I was getting into). He made the necessary arrangements and Floyd took me out the next afternoon. Well let me tell you it was hell! They threw me into a ward with all mental patients, some pretty bad cases; took all my clothes away, or anything that belonged to me, even took my purse not one bit of medication did they give me the entire five days I was there. It was exactly like being in jail, barred windows and locked doors, etc. The next morning the Dr. let me move downstairs, supposedly to the A.A. ward, but it was merely a room; again thrown in with all mental patients. Of course there was more freedom in as much as you could walk about the grounds a few hours in the morning and afternoon however the barred doors were locked at 4 in the afternoon. There were of course no telephones, so none of the patients could call out. The reason for my odd letter to you was because every incoming and outgoing letter is read and if they think you should not have it or it should not be sent you don't get it or they don't send it. So I had to be careful what I said so you'd be sure to get it and not send anything to me as the attendants out there steal anything & everything they can get their hands on. As I said, it is a virtual prison.  The food was atrocious (wouldn't feed it to a pig) and I had to eat with the mental patients, who are very dirty & sloppy - You never know when one of them would upset something in your lap. There were only three of us in the supposedly A.A. ward - the other two had been in and out of the place numerous times. The room was alive with roaches and bugs of all kinds. As far as cleaning it is left up to the inmates to do, so you can imagine how dirty the place was. I was there 3 days before I got a bath towel and they issue one clean sheet & pillow case once every 2 or 3 weeks, never oftener. I might as well slept on the floor the bed was so hard and I didn't really sleep until I got home. All this time, I still hadn't gotten all my clothes and had nothing to wear except the skirt blouse & sweater I had on when I went in...By Saturday night I was over the shakes and felt fine. Sunday I decided this was not the place for me and I was going to get out one way or another...

     ...I attended my first A.A. meeting (here) that night. Didn't even stop to change clothes or clean up, just walked right in - it was being held in the club rooms of a church which is within walking distance of the apartment. I didn't know a soul, yet I received a very warm welcome and felt at ease right away. The secretary of the group is now my sponsor...The organization and people are so different here from the Columbus group. In the first place it is much much larger and the people seem much more sincere. The atmosphere is a lot more friendly also and they really go out of their way to help a person any way they can...

    ...But it is going to be very hard for me to overcome the resentments I have and indulging in self-pity. To be successful I shall have to overcome them. At the moment I am quite discouraged and frustrated. While I was drinking it helped me forget the Lackland situation; being without an income. Not being able to get a job having no new clothes, etc. But now that I'm sober, all those things are now in the spotlight. To make things worse, everything I have of any value is in the pawn shop, including my wedding ring (part of the money I got for it, I gave to Floyd). He had promised to get it out for me, but has not done so. Furthermore, I am getting a little or no cooperation from him. I thought when I stopped drinking our differences would straighten out, but they haven't, but this time I can say with all sincerity it isn't my fault because I'm trying to do everything to the best of my ability...Lots and lots of love, Janie"