Click the images below for bigger versions:
Grady, Thomas Benjamin Joseph Levi
Bound Volume of Testimonial Letters Attesting to the Skill of Thomas Grady “The Stammerer’s Friend” in the cure of Stammering and Stuttering, 1877-1880

quarto, 132 letters, mounted on paper leaves, promotional broadside for Professor Grady mounted on front paste down (see image above) bound in contemporary ½ leather and marbled boards, back-strip lacking, binding very worn and shaken, rear board detached, but present, interior contents good.

$ 1250.00 | Contact Us >

The testimonials gathered in this volume appear to be primarily from Canadian clients in the period just before Grady relocated to Boston, Massachusetts and founded the Boston Stammerers’ Institute and Training School in 1880.

 

Thomas Grady “discoverer of the science of speech, principal and founder of the Boston Stammerer’s Institute and Training School was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, March 15, 1847. He was the son of Captain John W. and Mary Ann (McCoy) Grady. He was educated in the public schools and also because of deafness by private tutors. Grady could not follow his father to the sea because of his deafness, he simply could not hear shouted orders while at sea. Turning to other pursuits, he began to study for the ministry. During the course of his studies, he claimed to discover the “science of speech”, or why human beings talk, he then turned the “science” to practice, and began a career in speech correction or “unloosing the stammering tongue,” and became widely known as “Professor Grady The Stammerer’s Friend”. Grady established a series of offices in Canada, in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, St. Johns and Halifax, where he set about the cure of stammering and stuttering. He moved to Boston, Massachusetts in 1880 and established the Boston Stammerers’ Institute and Training School. His hope was to eventually found a free institute and training school for all poor children, both boys and girls, afflicted with speech difficulties. In 1916 The Boston Stammerers’ Institute merged with the Robbins School for Stammerers, founded by Samuel Dowse Robbins, Harvard A.B. 1911, and A.M 1919.