(Scott- Synott Family Papers)
Manuscript Archive of the related families of Scott and Synnott, of Cooperstown and New York City, New York; including mother Elizabeth Synnott Scott; daughter Edith Scott Johnston; son cowboy Frederick S. Scott of Willcox, Arizona and Hugo and San Marcos, Texas; sister-in-law Kate Scott Anthon, of England; as well as in-laws, the Johnston family of physicians, of Hyde Park, New York; and family friend Elizabeth S. Clark, heir of the Singer Sewing Company fortune, 1818-1948

Massive archive consisting of 1615 letters, 7800 pages, (many with retained mailing envelopes), plus over 700 pieces of ephemera, photographs, postcards, telegrams, calling cards, invitations, greeting cards, newspaper clippings, mss memorandum notes, genealogy, recipes, printed matter, invoices/receipts. Correspondence and ephemera all dated between 1818 and 1948, with the bulk dating between the 1880s and 1910s.

$ 7500.00 | Contact Us >

This collection comprises an extensive archive of correspondence amongst the Scott, Synnott and Johnston families of Cooperstown, Hyde Park, and New York City, New York.

Elizabeth Synnott Scott, Edith's mother, receives over 900 of the almost 1,600 letters in the collection, making her the center point of the archive. She also writes over 25 letters, mostly to her daughter Edith or other family members. Elizabeth, who remained in Cooperstown after her husband was institutionalized and died, eventually appears to have moved in with her daughter at Staten Island, New York. These letters to her were written by her mother, children, in-laws, friends, and associates. Amongst these incoming letters to Elizabeth is the most unusal section of the archive,  a group of over 120 letters of Elizabeth's son Frederick Synnott Scott, who with an introduction and the  backing of Elizabeth Severin Clark heir to the Singer Sewing Machine Company, went west to be a cowboy in Arizona, then later Texas, learning the trade from Clark's friend, the well-known Capt. John H. McKittrick, owner of the famed 2,000 acre McKittrick Ranch, near Bakersfield, California, which raised and trained polo ponies that were in demand all over the world. McKittrick also owned ranches in Arizona, which is where Fred received his education in ranching and went into business himself, raisng cattle, with the financial backing of Mrs. Clark. By 1900, Fred moved to Hugo and San Marcos, Texas, to ranch and farm, where he married and raised a family.

The collection includes over 350 letters of anglophile Catharine Mary "Kate" Scott Anthon (sister of Henry A. Scott of Cooperstown, patriarch of the family), who after the death of her husband, New York City attorney John Hone Anthon, moved to London, England to live. She writes mostly from Harrow-on-the-Hill, in Northwest London, as well as Grasmere, in the Lake District, where she vacationed, and other places in the United Kingdom.  Kate also receives several letters as well. Kate wrote most of her letters (313) to her sister-in-law Elizabeth Synnott Scott, who she appears to have developed a great friendship with. Her letters are filled with descriptions of life in England, the places she visits, people, and events, including the outbreak of World War One.

There are also over 200 letters written by Edith Scott Johnston, daughter of Elizabeth Synnott Scott and the wife of Dr. Henry Cortlandt Johnston, who after her marriage moved from Cooperstown to Staten Island, to live. Edith made a trip or two to England, and writes from there as well. Edith also receives over 250 letters from her husband, mother, brothers Fred and Henry, Aunt Kate Scott Anthon, and other family and friends. Much of this correspondence includes family matters and social events, etc.

The collection also contains letters of other members of the Scott and Synnott families of Cooperstown, Ithaca, and New York City, New York, as well as over 200 letters of the Johnston family of Hyde Park and New York City, NY. The Johnston family dates from the colonial era in New York and produced several generations of physicians, namely Dr. Francis Upton Johnston, John Williamson Johnston (who was studying medicine before he tragically died), Dr. Francis Upton Johnston, Jr., and Edith Scott's husband Dr. Henry Cortlandt Johnston. Much of the correspondence is between family members, or friends and business associates. John Williamson Johnston was also involved with the Arbon Coal Company of Blossburg, Pennsylvania, and the collection contains a number of letters on this topic as well.

This is a fascinating correspondence that shows the widespread family relations and social history of an extended family of New York State, Arizona, Texas, and England, featuring doctors, lawyers, and even a cowboy.

        Elizabeth Synnott Scott (1836-1924)

Elizabeth Synnott was born on 21 February 1836 at St. John, New Brunswick, Canada, the daughter of the Stephen Synnott and his wife Margaret Viets. She first came to Cooperstown, New York in company with her brother, the Rev. Stephen Henry Synnott, D.D. who was rector of Cooperstown's Christ Church from 1858 to 1866, then later was at St. Paul's Church in Poughkeepsie, New York for 18 years, and finished his ministry at St. John's Church in Ithaca, New York, where he spent the last 19 years of his life. Elizabeth lived in a home in Cooperstown that bordered on Christ Churchyard. There are a number of letters of Rev. Synnott to his sister Elizabeth, as well as letters of Rev. Synnott's wife Alice Trumbull to Elizabeth.

Elizabeth married Henry Augustus Scott (b. 5 March 1836) on 15 October 1868. Henry was one of the prominent business men of Cooperstown, a cashier in the publishing house of Ivison, Phinney & Co.  Ivison, Phinney & Co. was founded by H.F. Phinney and H. Ivison after the Phinney publishing house of Cooperstown burnt down in 1849. H.F. Phinney, along with his brother Elihu, had taken over their father's publishing house (Elihu Phinney) which published the Otsego Herald or Western Advertiser from 1795-1813.  Elihu Phinney, Sr. had been invited to Cooperstown by its founder Judge William Cooper. Cooper's grandson married Phinney's daughter, the sister of H.F. and Elihu, and the daughter of the writer James Fennimore Cooper. The family company, also published books. It was claimed that Abner Doubleday, the one time supposed inventor of baseball, regularly played the game on the Phinney family's farm, which became the Doubleday Field, the site of the annual Hall of Fame Game.                    

Henry Augustus Scott, was the son of Henry Scott (1792-1883) and his wife Catharine Mary Strong (1800-1843). Henry Augustus' grandfather, also Henry Scott, was an Irish immigrant who was elected to the New York legislature three times and appointed Judge of Otsego County. He was the cashier at the First National Bank in Cooperstown and held the same position in that bank even as the bank changed names over the years.

Henry Augustus Scott's mother, Mary Strong, was a descendent of Selah Strong, who was a delegate to the Provincial Congress and commanded the Brookhaven Company of Suffolk county militia at Long Island during the American Revolution. There are several letters of the Strong family in this collection.

Henry A. Scott had at least five siblings, two of whom were Margaret Strong Scott, who was born 1834 and married Dr. Homer Lyman Bartlett, a physician at Flatbush, Long Island, (born 1830); and Catharine Mary Scott, who was born 1831 and married attorney John Hone Anthon, Esq., a graduate of Columbia College in 1851, and the son of John Anthon, Esq., of New York and Judith Hone. Catharine Mary Scott Anthon was known as "Aunt Kate," she wrote many of the letters in this collection to her sister-in-law Elizabeth Synnott Scott, and to her niece Edith Scott Johnston.

Together Elizabeth Synnott and her husband Henry Augustus Scott had at least three children: Frederick S. Scott (1872-1925) who went west to became a cowboy and lived and ranched in Wilcox, Arizona, and later in Hugo and San Marcos, Texas; Henry Scott (1871-1900) an editor and a member of the firm of "Crist, Scott and Parshall," proprietors of the Otsego Farmer and the New York Farmer. Henry died tragically at the age of 29 of typhoid fever. The couple's third child was a daughter Edith Scott, born 9 December 1869, who married Dr. Henry Cortlandt Johnston and moved to New York City, living at Staten Island.

Elizabeth Synnott Scott died at the Staten Island home of her son-in-law, Dr. H.C. Johnston on 27 May 1924, just two months after the death of her daughter Edith, Dr. Johnston's wife. Elizabeth was buried at Lakewood Cemetery, Cooperstown, New York.

Elizabeth's husband Henry died before the 1900 Census was taken, as she appeared as a widow. Henry had previously been placed in an asylum in 1885, presumably suffering from Typhoid Fever, which seemed to have caused some sort of severely debilitating mental condition. The correspondence shows that Henry Scott was an inmate of the Middletown State Homoeopathic Asylum for the Insane at Middletown, New York in 1885-1886. Scott very likely never left. The Middletown State Homeopathic Hospital was a hospital for the treatment of mental disorders located in Middletown, New York. It opened on April 20, 1874. It was the first purely homeopathic hospital for mental disorders in the United States. The hospital employed a number of new techniques for the treatment of mental disorders, most notably the use of baseball as a therapy. From 1877 until 1902, Dr. Seldon H. Talcott was the superintendent and developed a series of occupational therapies for all patients at Middletown. His treatment included art exhibitions, an institutional newsletter written by the patients (The Conglomerate), and athletics. The institution closed in 2006. The archive includes several letters of Dr. Talcott to Mrs. Scott concerning the health and traetment of her husband Henry.

Edith Scott Johnston (1869-1924)

Edith Scott was born 9 December 1869, at Poughkeepsie, Dutchess County, New York. She was the oldest of at least three children born to Henry Augustus Scott and his wife Elizabeth Synnott.

Edith married Dr. Henry Cortland Johnston (1866-1937) on 3 July 1895. He was the son of Dr. Francis Upton Johnston (1826-1892) of New York City, and his wife Margaret Antoinette Babcock (1828-1911). Dr. Francis and his wife had at least nine children: Margaret Antoinette, John, Francis Upton, Louis Morris, Euphemia Scot, Mary Williamson, William Bard, Elizabeth, and of course Henry C.

In 1900, Edith, her husband, and their two oldest children (Edith and Margaret) are found enumerated at Staten Island, where they were renting a house. The couple eventually had four children in all: Edith Scott Johnston (1896-1827); Margaret Scott Johnston (1897-1981); Francis Upton Johnston (1900-1901); and Catharine Johnston Wood (1904-1991). This archive includes letters by Edith, her husband Henry, as well as a couple of their children, Margaret and Catharine.

Edith Scott Johnson died on 20 February 1924. She was buried in the Johnston family burial plot at Saint James Episcopal Churchyard, Hyde Park, Dutchess County, New York. A good many of the letters (195) in this collection are written by Edith to her mother, and a number of letters are written to her from her husband, mother, and her aunt Catharine "Aunt Kate" Mary Scott Anthon, as well as other family and friends.

Catharine Mary Scott Anthon - "Aunt Kate" (1831-1917)

Catharine Mary Scott was born 12 March 1831 and died on 24 March 1917. She was the sister of Henry Augustus Scott. She married attorney John Hone Anthon (1832 - 1874), in 1866.

Besides being an attorney, John Hone Anthon also taught medical jurisprudence at the University of the City of New York. He registered for the Civil War in 1863. "Aunt Kate" as Catharine Mary Scott was known, was previously married in 1851 to Campbell Ladd Turner (1831-1857), the son of Levi Crosby Turner (1807-1867) and Julia Campbell (1808-1892).

Aunt Kate is found living at Otsego, New York in 1850 just before her first marriage, and remained there after her marriage to Turner. Catherine, in the Census of 1860, is listed as a widow and living at Cooperstown, with her parents, where she is also found in the NY State Census of 1865. She married John Hone Anthon in 1866, he died eight years later in 1874. The 1882 directory for the city of Chicago shows Catharine living in that city, listed as the "widow of John." It is unclear why she went to Chicago, or how long she lived there.

What is known is that after the death of her second husband and her brief stay in Chicago, Catharine appears to have moved to England permanently. Ancestry.com shows her making several trips back and forth to Europe (England and Germany) and the correspondence in the collection shows this as well. In the 1891 Census for England, Catharine is found enumerated at Clevedon, Somerset. She is listed as a border at the lodging house of Bernard and Emma Horsey. Other guests include Mary A.C. Flaherty, Edgar S. Corie, the vicar of Greenstead in Essex, and his wife Eliza and daughter Frances. She later moves to Harrow-on-the-Hill in Northwest London. She takes several trips to Grasmere in the Lake District of England, where she appears to have vacationed, or also lived.

Catharine Mary Anthon died on 24 March 1917 at Grasmere, England. Her will was proved in London in 1920 by attorney William Graham for her niece Edith Scott Johnston's husband, Henry Cortlandt Johnston. This archive includes over 350 letters written by "Aunt Kate."

      Frederick Synnott Scott (1872-1925)

      Frederick Synnott Scott was born 21 December 1872. He was the youngest son of Elizabeth Synnott and Henry Augustus Scott. At the age of 19, due to poor health and a need to work outdoors, Frederick went west and became a cowboy, working at cattle ranches in Wilcox, Arizona and later at Hugo, Texas, before moving to San Marcos, Texas, where he appears to have settled down as a farmer.  Mrs. Elizabeth Severin Clark, heir to the Singer Sewing Machine Company, made the introductions for Frederick to go west to work for a friend of hers, Capt. William H. McKittrick, at his ranch in Willcox, Arizona.

      Frederick went west about 1891 to work on the cattle ranch that McKittrick owned near Wilcox, Arizona, called the Estrella Ranch. The town of McKittrick, California, earlier known as Asphalto because of the asphalt deposits in the vicinity, was renamed McKittrick for Capt. Wm. H. McKittrick, who owned the land. McKittrick was also the owner of the famed 2,000 acre McKittrick Ranch, near Bakersfield, California where polo ponies were reared and trained.

      William H. McKittrick was elected the first president of the Arizona Stock Growers' Association (later known as the Arizona Cattle Growers' Association) when it was founded in 1904. He owned over 2,000 head of cattle. As president of the association, McKittrick very much supported the Arizona Rangers, which he thought "are necessary in the southern part of the territory...where the renegades from Mexico made a practice of coming over the line...to kill and rob."

      McKittrick, lived at Bakersfield, California, and was also partners with William S. Tevis in the Turquoise Copper Mining & Smelting Company, which owned mining properties in Cochise County, Arizona. McKittrick served as an officer in the Spanish American War, where he was a Captain and Assistant Adjutant General, U. S. V., and was brevetted Major for faithful and meritorious service during the campaign. He was the son-in-law of Gen. William Rufus Shafter, having married his daughter Mary L. Shafter. McKittrick served under Shafter during the Spanish War on the Santiago Campaign and is credited with raising the first American flag at Santiago. General Shafter lived on a small ranch next to McKittrick in his retirement years, near Bakersfield, California.

      McKittrick was the son of another Captain Wm. H. McKittrick who died during the Civil War at the Battle of Fort Gilmer, near Richmond, Virginia. The McKittricks were from Ballston, Saratoga County, New York. The McKittricks and the Clark family (Singer Sewing Machine Company) of Cooperstown appear to have known each other, and the Scotts were friends with the Clarks, thus it was Elizabeth Scriven Clark who appears to have arranged for Frederick to go west and work for McKittrick to learn the business of cattle ranching.

      In the mid 1890's, Mrs. Clark financed Frederick S. Scott’s purchase of his own cattle ranch after he learned the trade working for her friend McKittrick. Frederick purchased a ranch near McKittrick’s, property outside of Willcox, Arizona. By 1900, Frederick moved to Hugo, Texas where he is listed as a farmer and stockman in 1900 at Justice Precinct 3, Hays, Texas. He was married about 1904, to Lillian Owen. She was born 4 January 1881 at San Marcos, Texas. She was the daughter of James Larken Owen and Agnes Stone Jennings. James Larken Owens was born in Mississippi and came to Texas with his parents before the Civil War. He served in the Confederate Army (1863-1865), for the "Calvary of the West," one of the 1300 Calvary men that were raised by the famed Colonel, John Salmon Ford.

      The reason for Frederick’s move to Texas is unclear. However, what is clear from the correspondence is that at first he struggled in Texas. In 1910, Frederick was listed as a farmer at Justice Precinct 7, Uvalde, Texas.  By 1920 Census Frederick is seen in San Marcos, Texas, listed as a farmer. Frederick and his wife had at least five children: Henry A. Scott (1906- ); James O. Scott (1911- ); Frederick S. Scott (1911- ); Edith Scott (1914- ); and Steven G. Scott (1917- ).

      Frederick lived at Hugo, Texas, for a time, where he was raising cattle. Hugo was just north of the Comal County line ten miles west of San Marcos in southern Hays County. In the 1800s it was named Purgatory or Purgatory Springs, for a nearby creek and springs. The Purgatory school opened on January 9, 1877, with seventeen students. A Purgatory Springs post office operated from 1890 to 1895 then changed its name to Hugo in 1896. The community, which at one time supported a church, a store, and a school, declined in the early 1900s. The Hugo post office closed in 1909, and within a few decades the community was abandoned, which might be why Fred moved to San Marcos.

      Frederick died 5 April 1925, at San Marcos, Texas and was buried at San Marcos Cemetery, San Marcos, Texas. His wife Lillian died 25 January 1968, in Houston, and was buried with her husband at San Marcos Cemetery.

      Elizabeth Scriven Clark Potter (1848-1909)

       Elizabeth Scriven was born on 30 September 1848, at Brooklyn, New York. She married Alfred Corning Clark (1844-1896), son of Edward C. Clark (1811-1882), an American lawyer, businessman and investor. Edward C. Clark was a founder along with his business partner Isaac Merritt Singer, of the Singer Sewing Machine Company. The men made an incredible fortune with the company. Together Elizabeth and her husband Alfred had four sons: businessman and owner of the "Dakota" apartment building in New York City, Edward Severin Clark (1870-1933); art collector, horse breeder, and philanthropist Robert Sterling Clark (1877-1956); equestrian Frederick Ambrose Clark (1880-1964); and businessman, art collector, philanthropist, and founder of the Baseball Hall of Fame at Cooperstown, New York, Stephen Carlton Clark (1882-1960).

       Elizabeth's husband, Alfred Corning Clark, is said to have been a quiet family man in America and a gay aesthete in Europe, especially in France, which he declared “the Mecca of brotherly feeling.” He was a generous patron to male artists and for 19 years his closest companion was a Norwegian tenor named Lorentz Severin Skougaard. When Alfred's father’s death forced him to return to Manhattan, Alfred installed Skougaard down the block from the town house where he lived with his wife Elizabeth and their children.

      After her 1st husband's (Alfred Corning Clark) death on 1 April 1896, Elizabeth married a second time to the Rt. Rev. Henry Codman Potter on 4 Oct 1902. The Rev. Potter was the Episcopalian Bishop of New York. Elizabeth died on 4 March 1909, in Manhattan.

      The Clark family lived at Cooperstown for a number of years and presumably the friendship between Mrs. Clark and Mrs. Elizabeth Synnott Scott began there, since the Scotts were also a prominent family in Cooperstown. This collection contains 27 letters of Elizabeth S. Clark that she wrote to Elizabeth Synnott Scott, with 7 other letters written to Mrs. Scott's daughter, Edith Scott Johnston, and 1 letter to Edith's father Henry Scott. Mrs. Clark is mentioned in several of the letters written by Frederick Synnott Scott, who informs us it was Elizabeth S. Clark that set him up in the cattle business in Arizona. There is also a letter or two from the McKittricks to Clark that reference Fred and how he was faring on his ranch in Arizona.

     Johnston Family of Hyde Park, Dutchess County, New York

      The Johnston family was a very old and prominent New York family. John Johnston (1762-1850) resided at Hyde Park, Dutchess Co., New York. He was presiding Judge of the Court of Common Pleas. John married in 1792 to Susannah Bard and had at least 12 children. Susannah Bard was the daughter of Samuel Bard, M.D., LL.D., who resided in New York City and Hyde Park, and was a one time president of the College of Physicians and Surgeons, and one of the founders of New York Hospital.

      John Johnston was the son of David Johnston (1724- ) and Magdalin Walton. His mother’s sister, Mary Walton, married Lewis Morris, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. David Johnston was the son of John Johnston (1691-?) who resided at Perth Amboy, New Jersey, and was commissioned a member of the King's Council of New Jersey. David's wife was Elizabeth Jamison, daughter of David Jamison, Chief Justice of New Jersey, Recorder of New York, and Attorney General of New York.

      The two oldest children of John and Susanna Bard Johnston were: John Johnston (1792-died young) and David Johnston (1793-died young). The third child of John and Susannah Bard Johnston was Dr. Francis Upton Johnston (1796-1858).

      Dr. Francis Upton Johnston graduated from the College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1820 and died in New York City 17 January 1858 of Pleurisy. He was a Fellow, 1826, Trustee, 1827-37, and Vice President of the New York Academy of Medicine in 1847.  He was a doctor in New York listed at 762 Broadway in 1841-1842. He practiced medicine in the city for many years and was also a consulting physician at New York Hospital.

      Dr. Francis Upton Johnston married Mary Williamson (1800-1875), a daughter of patriot John Williamson (1748-1830) of Charleston, South Carolina, who commanded a company in the 1st Regiment, South Carolina under Pinckney during the Revolutionary War and was an original member of the Order of Cincinnati. Mary Williamson was also the niece of patriot and physician Hugh Williamson, M.D., LL.D., a member of Congress from North Carolina from 1783-1788; a delegate to the US Constitutional Convention from North Carolina in 1787; and one of the framers of the U.S. Constitution, and a signatory of that document representing North Carolina, as well as a one time governor of that state.

      Together Dr. Johnston and his wife Mary Williamson had at least nine children: Susan Bard Johnston (1827-1904) who married Charles F. Zimmerman (1825-1893) and had a daughter Mary Williamson Zimmerman Gerhard (1850-); Mary Williamson Johnston; Elizabeth Salter Johnston; Josephine Kearney Johnston; Eupheme Scott Johnston; Emily Verplanck Johnston; Louis Morris Johnston (1839-1906) who was a 1st Lieut. in the PA Light Artillery during Civil War; and John Williamson Johnston (1823-1844), who studied medicine, but died young in 1844 at the age of 21, thus his brother Francis Upton Johnston, switched from law to medicine to continue the family tradition of physicians (there are a number of letters in the collection of John Williamson Johnston writing to his parents); and Dr. Francis Upton Johnston, Jr. (1826-1892).

      Dr. Francis Upton Johnston, Jr. (1826-1892) was born in New York the oldest son of Dr. Francis Upton Johnston and his wife Mary Williamson. The junior Francis died at New Brighton, New Jersey. He was an active practitioner of medicine in New York City on Staten Island, New York. He is buried at Saint James Episcopal Churchyard at Hyde Park, in Dutchess County, New York. Francis was for some years a vestryman of St. James church. Francis Upton Johnston was a member of the New York Knickerbockers baseball club in 1845. Dr. Johnston married in 1853, and retired from medical practice in 1860 due to poor health and moved to a farm near Cooperstown, New York. In 1866 after recovering, he moved back to Hyde Park, and occupied the old mansion once occupied by his grandfather Judge John Johnston, and began practicing medicine again. He acquired a property in Cooperstown as a summer retreat, this is likely how his son met and married Edith Scott, whose father was a leading businessman from Cooperstown. There are a number of letters written to Dr. Johnston, as well as several he wrote.

      Dr. Francis Upton Johnston, Jr. was married, in 1853, to Margaret Antoinette Babcock (1828-1911), whose father was John Cortlandt Babcock, a New York City attorney. Her mother was Martha Cox Cruger, a descendent of John Cruger, an 18th Century Mayor of New York City. Dr. Francis and his wife had at least nine children: Margaret Antoinette Johnston (1853-1934); Elizabeth Johnston; John Johnston (1857-1909) who was born in New York City, became a civil engineer, who was in charge of  the U.S. hydrographic survey of New York Harbor in 1889; Francis Upton Johnston (1858-); Louis Morris Johnston (1859-1862); Euphemia Scott Johnston (1861-1937); Mary Williamson Johnston (1862-1922); William Bard Johnston (1870-1955) and Dr. Henry Cortlandt Johnston (1866-1937) who married Edith Scott.

      Dr. Henry Cortlandt Johnston, (1866-1937) married Edith Scott on 3 July 1895. Edith died on 20 February 1924. The couple had at least two children: Edith Scott Johnston and Margaret Synnott Johnston. Dr. Henry writes a number of letters in this collection to his wife, mother-in-law, and other family.

      There are several letters in this collection that are addressed to Mrs. Cruger/Babcock. John Williams Johnston who died prematurely in 1844, has a number of letters both written to and from him in the collection. Dr. Henry C. Johnston wrote a number of letters, as did other Johnston family members.

      Full Description and Inventory of Collection can be emailed upon request.

      Sample Quotations:

      "November 15th, 1891, 7 West 22nd Street [NYC]

       My dear Mrs. Scott,

              I have just telegraphed to you and will send you a few hurried lines of explanation. Mr. & Mrs. McKittrick arrived here on Friday night and leave in a few days. Tonight I ventured to ask him if he would consider taking Fred on his ranch in case you desired it - and after a long talk he said he would. I can only tell you and assure you that Mr. McKittrick is an excellent man in every respect and could not be but the best of examples to any young man. Mrs. McKittrick is a dear, good, loveable little woman- and Alf and I know them both thoroughly. They live near Wilcox (and within I think thirty miles) of Fort Grant, Arizona, a most desolate community for anything but cattle and live far from neighbors on their ranch - 10 miles from Wilcox.

             Mr. McKittrick has 7,000 head of cattle and owing to the severe drought he is hastening home to drive them to Bakersfield in Southern California where he will keep them (or most of them) until fattened & sold. Owing to his frequent absences from home this winter, he will send his wife to her parents (she is a daughter of Colonel Shafter) at Angel Island near San Francisco, but will keep Fred most of the time, if not all the time with him, at the ranch or at Bakersfield, and will teach him the business. Fred keeping him for the present at all costs without remuneration. He did not say this, but it would seem to me that this would be the case since he would not take any one else in Fred's place, has been asked to take Fred because he needs out door work and good climate. Mr. McKittrick is one who works well himself and would keep Fred with him and teach him. This of course would be but a temporary arrangement for winter to be continued only if desired by both parties. The climate is considered in both Arizona & Bakersfield especially desirable for people of Fred's physique. Wilcox is five days journey, Bakersfield six from New York. Climate pretty cold for two months of winter in Wilcox, but very dry, milder at Bakersfield. If Fred got out there, might be a position later and he could consider this a visit to Mr. McKittrick.

           And it would be most desirable for them to meet. Mr. McKittrick goes to Balston - near Saratoga- Tuesday to return to New York Thursday and as he would have very little time to talk to Fred here, if Fred could meet him at Albany in Troy on Thursday & travel to New York with him they could talk over a good deal on the way. Mr. McK would telegraph about train from Balston & possibly Fred might have to leave Wednesday & stay over night in Albany. You can judge from the telegram…

             I shall most gladly assume all the expenses of this trip and if he does not like it he can return in a week or at anytime. I think he would have to spend a good deal of his time in the saddle, riding about after cattle. I am sure, too, Mr. McK will not let him work himself beyond his strength and Fred must be very frank on all these matters with him...

            I feel most anxious about sending you this letter. It is such a dreadful thing to meddle with other people's children, however good ones intentions and motives may be...

With much love to you all, I am, affectionately yours, Elizabeth S. Clark"

      "[20 Nov 1891]

       My dear friend,

            Your kind letter came today and I can only hope your faith may have its reward. Your confidence in us almost frightens me. I was surprised when Fred told me you would not expect him to return to talk matters over with you before the final decision for of course Mr. McKittrick has told him a great deal more about the life and work in Arizona than I or any one else could write you...

            I must have my way about Fred traveling and all other expenses this winter. I cannot embarrass Fred by talking about this but I do not want you to do anything in that way.

            It is certainly very good of you to be so unselfish about your boy and so brave too. I admire you very much for your pluck and wonder what I should do under like circumstances.

     Fred promises to write you fully and I shall try to start him tomorrow at a letter...

With much love to you all, Affectionately Elizabeth S. Clark"

     "New York, Dec 2, 1891

      Dearest Mother,

           Got to New York O.K. & went to see "Lady Bountiful" that night. Cousin Charlie cashed the check all right. Got a nickel plated watch (Cousin Charlie advised me to) costing $4. Good timekeeper, very slick. Got a good pair of blankets here costing $3.50 at Boutraleers (old stocking) & a good pr too. We will probably start on Monday for the "Wild & Wooley West." Everybody is well here. Here we go. With love to all.

Your aff't son, Frederic S. Scott"

      "Wilcox, Arizona, Dec 13 [1891], Sunday P.M.

      Dearest Mother,

         Stopped a few hrs at El Paso in Texas. Looked in old curiosity shops & crossed the Rio Grande river into Old Mexico by a horse cart (that is a car drawn by one small donkey). Saw an old church there built in the 1600s. Saw the ring where they have the bull fights. They were going to have a fight on the next day. I here Mexicans live like dogs. They were all gambling behind the church, priest & all.

           We stayed here a few minutes & then went back & took the Southern Pacific to Wilcox, arriving there 12.05 midnight. Slept at the Wilcox hotel had breakfast there, Chinaman cook, slick.

           The ranch wagon met us in the morning & we drove out 10 miles. The house is made of Adobe & is papered inside...there is a blacksmith shop, 2 windmills, lots of hens, chicks, & turkeys, 5 dogs, 2 ordinary, 1 Irish Settler, & 2 Irish Settler pups chewed up where they had been biting each other.

            "Charley" is a fine cook. We had quail, potatoes, etc for lunch, & turkey, potatoes, corn, "Charlott" Rusa for dinner.

Here she goes, with love to all, your loving son, F.S. Scott"

"Willcox, Arizona, Jan'y 28, '92

       Dearest Mother,

             I received the draft for $4 & Hook from Aunt Kate & have also received the Freemans regularly.

             I have plenty of warm things. Charlie planted some onion sets to day in the garden. I don't think that we will have much more cold weather. Never wear an overcoat except if I drive into town. We have a good buggy team. Tex & Eagle they will take you into town in 1 hr (12 miles). Tex makes a little sulky fly.

               Henry ought to see the road from Willcox to Fort Grant. It is as good as any of the Cooperstown roads at their best.

              Hope Sheh is doing well. We have 3 dogs now; Sport, half settler & half bloodhound; Mage, Irish Settler, and Queen, Irish Settler pup. Mage & Sport run jack rabbits all the time. Shot a Black Tail Buck the other day and Charlie (the foreman) & I killed 50 quail. Have not had much time to hunt...

             One of the men on the ranch is quite a character his name is Reed. He fought though the Mexican War went to California in the gold mining craze. He has told me that he has dug up over a $1000 worth of gold in a day. He is 67 years old & is as lively as a cricket & can ride as well as anyone around here.

           The brand of this ranch is JH. The calves are generally branded in April. Everything all hunky-dory.

Your loving son, F.S. Scott"

      "Bakersfield, Cal., Mar 25, '92

       Dearest Mother,

            This is a great deal better looking country than Arizona. The land is fenced & irrigated. On Mr. McKittrick's land the grass (alfalfa) is a foot high. Chinamen do the irrigating, which they understand perfectly. There are immense ditches that run all through the land and the Chinamen flood the fields from these. Our drinking water is from artesian wells, you can strike water anywhere.

           We have Chinamen cooks, one for the men, & the other for us. Saw lots of Indians on the way here. They come down to the train to sell pottery. The place where that bowel & pitcher was made. Youma is the hottest place in the United States and is about 200 ft below the level of the sea. Oranges & every thing else will grow here.

              The rail road station is called Summer about a mile from Bakersfield, but address letters to Bakersfield.

             The ranch is 12 miles from B. There is quite a nice hotel in Bakersfield called the Southern. The town has about 1500 inhab. Address letters to c/o Mr. McKittrick as they don't know me there...

             Said to be lots of flies and mosquitoes here. Have to have screen doors to keep them out. The house is wooden & 2 stories high. Lots of jack rabbits here, ducks & thousands of geese in the spring, a few coyotes & wild cats. Oranges, peaches, pears, palmes & everything will grow here. Your loving son, F.S.S."

      "Bakersfield, Cal. April 5 /92,

       My dear Mrs. Scott,

              Knowing that you must feel somewhat worried about Fred's being so far from home, I write to tell you how he is getting along.

              Fred looks splendidly is filling out and has been in perfect health. Cowboy life agrees with him as he is in the saddle from morning until night. Fred rather wanted to stay in Arizona, but we expect to be away so much of the time, we thought it best to have him with us and it will be more like home to him than roughing it in Arizona with only cowboys for companions.

              Fred is a great worker and is breaking into the business nicely and will soon be able to assist us in running the ranch. We are very fond of him and it is a great pleasure to have him with us. You can rest assure that he will be well cared for and that he will have every comfort our home can give.

      Mrs. McKittrick joins me in kindest regards to yourself and family. Very sincerely yours, W.M. McKittrick"

      "Estella Ranch, Nov. 24 '92

       My Dear Mother,

               Everything moving, got through with shipping cattle. Shipped 2 train loads to California, about 20 cars in a train. Took us about 12 days to gather them. Had a kind of a dust storm today. No feed this year just the same as last year. If we have a hard winter there will be a big loss of cattle. Mainly cows & calves all the horses in this valley that are turned out (that is running loose) are loco (crazy) they eat a weed called "loco" the only thing here that is green in winter. When you put a saddle on they fall over backwards & tremble & sometimes "buck." It ruins them.

              We have all the ranch horses in & are feeding them hay. Hope the "people" are well & kicking.

Your loving son, F.S. Scott, Squire"

"Willcox, Arizona, May 21, 1893

My Dear Mother,

              Everything booming. Branding calves about all the time now. Mr. McKittrick, Reno & Mr. Flanders are expected here today. I rode into town yesterday afternoon to see if there was a telegram but there was none. They will only stay a few days I suppose. An outfit from the upper part of the valley corralled a bunch of 325 steers here the other night on their way to the shipping corral at Willcox. They stampeded in the night & broke quite a place in the corral. These will steers will stampede at the least thing. They will pile right over an adobe corral 6 ft high.

       Hoping the people are feeling all OK & lively.                                         Your loving son, F.S. Scott"

      "JH Ranch, Nov 1st [1893]

        My Dear Mother,

             Everything way up terribly up. Lots of grass & cattle fat. The valley round up is over, I have just got back from it. Had from 30 to 40 men and about 200 horses each man has from 4 to 6. Where it was nothing but a desert last year there is good feed now. The days are warm yet can go without a coat. I guess it is rather cold in "C" just now.        Hoping you are all OK, your loving son, F.S. Scott"

       "JH Ranch, July 23 '94

        My Dear Mother,

             Rec'd yours "Fourth of July" letter. Ms. McKittrick sent me the cheque of Mrs. Clarks, which cheque will never be cashed by me as I ought to be able to care for myself now. I come home in the distant future it will be on my own...

              Two horse thieves stole 105 head of horses from different ranches below here. Shay started in at the Mexican line & got 140 north of here before they were caught.

             We have got most of the calves branded now but will be branding a few everyday till late in the fall. The cattle are scattered so that it takes lots of riding to get them. When ever we see a calf that is unbranded belonging to a cow with the ranch brand on her we proceed to rope him & brand the gentleman.

            We have a lot of winds to look out for now, & we have to keep awake when our turn come to cut our cattle out of a big herd...

      [there is then on page 3 of the letter, 19 different images drawn by hand of the brand markings of various ranches, giving the name of each ranch as well as the image of the brand]

                19 brands to look after, so you see that it is not all child's play, & there are wild cattle you can't go close up to them & fondle them. If there is any question about what brand is on Mrs. Cow we proceed to put our "twine" on her & examine the same while she is lying on the ground.

Hoping you are all well, your loving son F.S.S."

"JH Ranch  Aug 27, '94

       My Dear Mother,

            Everything way up. Have not had very much rain this season, but the cattle will pull through all right as they are fat now. Mr. McKittrick was down here for a few days last week. He never stays very long.

             I roped a coyote on Chief the other day & put the JH ear mark on him & let the gentleman go. We may get him in the round-up. There will be a round-up in the San Simon Valley (next east of this) beginning on the 8th next month & one of us will have to go & represent this outfit. We won't have but a few cattle over there being so far away, but on this round-up close to the ranch we have 2 or 3 men.

      Hoping you are all progressing finely,                                                   Your loving son, F.S. Scott"

     "JH Ranch Oct 9 '94

      My Dear Mother,

             Just got back from a round-up about 35 miles north of here, it was a short one only lasting a week. I took 4 horses with me. Mr. McKittrick has been very sick at San Francisco, started with a bad attack of hay fever, & than malarial fever on top of that. We got a bull on the above mentioned round-up 7 or 8 years old without a brand on him. All animals like that belong to the ranch at which they are rounded up at.

                                                   Hoping you are all well & feeling way up.  Your loving son, F.S. Scott"

       "JH Ranch Feb'y 5, '95

        Dear Mother,

             Got Henry's letter OK. The box of cakes arrived in good condition & have evaporated, they don't keep in this high altitude (5,000 feet). We are well & fat, and going to get a fat reducer, weight 213 lbs by the New Standard Chinese Scale.

              The S.P. train was robbed a few miles out of Willcox the other night by two ex-cow punchers, they got away with about $50,000.

               The weather is very warm for winter now, you can go without a coat all day. Hoping you are all well.

                                                                                                                     Your loving son, F.S. Scott”

     "Willcox, A.T., May 25 '95

      My Dear Mother,

             I guess I will have to "ring" you up as I have not heard from you in a long time. I write to tell you about what Mrs. Clark has done for me, she has given me $3,000, $1000 for the ranch and the rest to be put into cattle, what do you think of that? I wrote today to thank her for her great kindness to me.

            The ranch is about 6 miles from Willcox & 7 from here, there is a stage once a day that passes the ranch going between Willcox & Ft. Grant. I think I am to go over there the first of June. The cattle will be turned over to me (I think) in a week or two.

           Now little lady you can't expect me to come home this summer under the circumstances. You see there will be lots to see to all summer, & a person has just got to be here to look after things, as nobody looks after them like yourself. Now don't you do any skeeming to get me to come because I can't...

           Will write again in a few days...                                                        Your loving son, F.S. Scott"

     "[Flying] E Ranch, Dec19 '95

      Dear Mother,

              The Indians are all right. That band is in Mexico by this time. Your newspapers must have exaggerated it a little. Nobody worries about them here.

             Have time for reading in the evening generally. I would feel very proud of my honorable self to skip the country on account of a few Indians. We had a little freeze last night, water froze, about half an inch. Very warm & nice today. Cattle are looking well. Wish you all a Merry Xmas & a Happy New Year.                                                                                                   Your loving son, F.S. Scott"

      "Hugo, Texas, Dec 8, 1901

       Dear Mother,

             Everything all O.K. Had some rain last night. Going to kill some hogs tomorrow. Have been feeding 9 hogs on corn lately. I can send you back that money if you want me to as I sold some cattle the other day at Austin. Sold 31 heifers about 18 months old and 6 cows. Got $403.55 for them. I did not like to sell the stock but had to do it as I needed the money. I have not got enough the stock; as the pasture will carry 150 head more.

            Have on hand now 135 cows & 30 heifers (2 years old in the spring) also about 80 calves (this years). If I could work my bunch up to 300 cows I would be all right. And I could run the 300 as cheap as 135. As soon as a person gets a pasture full stocked then you have to sell off a certain number every years to keep from crowding your pasture. Have been at a good deal of expense this year on the water & last winter I had this little old house built which cost over $250. I rented the field this coming year to a man that lives not far from here. I get 1/3 of what he raises. I did this because it costs a good deal to work the land.

       Please let me know if you want me to send you the money. Hoping you are well.

Your loving son, F.S.S."