Quimby, L. F.
Autograph Letter Signed, Doboy Sound, aboard U.S. Steamer Wamsutta, August 17, 1862, to his cousin William

quarto, three pages, very neatly inscribed in ink, in very good, clean and legible condition.

$ 175.00 | Contact Us >

L. F. Quimby, who signs his letter Foster, was Assistant Surgeon, aboard the Wamsutta, then engaged in blockade duty at Doboy Sound, Georgia. Foster writes:


      “Dear Cousin Wm,

              … We have been anxiously and watched with great care the opening of Doboy Sound for the appearance of the U. S. St. “Massachusetts.” Because our mail and provisions and important orders were expected to be delivered by her. A few days since we saw a large “Man o’ War” firing very fast and on both sides as if in practice about ten miles out,  a small fleet passed and yet nothing looked like the “Mass.” But now we think she slipped by us unobserved whether then or while we were navigating some of the creeks. However, she did not stop at St. Simon’s till she returned up the coast. Notwithstanding her irregular passage she brought us late mails. Papers of the 8th inst., &c. The Madgie is now discharging a large quantity of provisions for our “Mess” and some Ship Stores. She is going to blockade Sapelo Sound about 12 miles north of us. Our blockade has extended from Ossabau to St. Simons Sound. The no. of vessels on this blockade has been very limited and various expedients have to keep the inlets under surveillance, but a few Steamers escaped and now the whole coast is stopped up with something in the shape of U.S. Steamers. There is no navigable creek out to sea not under our sight. A nice little steamer ran out of the Sound a few weeks since while we were off and started for Nassau N.P. but so unfortunate were they that their course brought them to New York in tow of “Uncle Sam’s” Str. Huntsville. She had a good cargo of cotton, Rice &c. The “secesh” have looked with anxiety for her return, as we found out by the “contras” and an Englishman who lives on an island near the main.

            Aug. 25th I have delayed this to collect items and now I find myself pressed from the approach of our mail conveyence tomorrow and a lot of letters to send with this. We have had occasional excitement in approaching the quarters of the rebels on the Main and searching their deserted picket stations. 19th inst approached a mile near the main and took a small boat for our use as Dingie.

              20th. Went through Shicket River (a mere creek) hitherto unnavigated by us and considered by them as an unlikely pass for us. We shelled a few weeks since the Thicket where they were making salt so our appearance frightened them and the little place seemed quite vacant. But we were only surveying the ruins.... We passed very narrow places where a few rifles could effect some harm but be in terrible danger themselves from our 32s. Anchoring by a Saw Mill we sent a boat to reconnoiter. Then Capt and I landed found a white Man and family formerly a pilot possessing a neutrality which sentiment we could not recognize. We took a lot of Roman Candles and rockets hidden there some time since by a man who was to signal the British Steamer coming in. He was disappointed then but left his fireworks for another excursion. He will not be prepared if he comes again without his night signals.

             Three days ago, a party set forth from our men to “cut out” or dig out an iron bell buoy which was cast adrift by the rebels and hauled into a marsh on Sapelo. They were unsuccessful in getting it at first, the next day an extra party was detailed and have been off till this evening. They arrived here with the famous Charleston “Planter” towing the buoy. The party suffered some from exposure and lack of food they towed the buoy to Sapelo Sd. and finding the “Braseliera” U. S. Barque (Capt. Gillespie). They now consider it a jolly expedition a great achievement, for in this iron buoy they realize a great improvement in our knowledge of the channel in which it was decided to anchor it for the entrance is very difficult to pass.  Yes the “Planter” arrived this P.M. we got under weigh went to quarters and trained our guns on her as she approached as we did not recognize her and as she did not respond satisfactorily to our signals. She left us a mail in which was a letter from Henry (14 July and 5 papers). The U.S. Str. “E. B. Hale” is alongside on her way to Port Royal…”