Sanderson, Cyril George L.
Maritime Journal and Scrapbook, of Cyril George L. Sanderson, of Camden, New Jersey, 1912-1930

quarto, 40 pp., bound in half leather, cloth backed boards, binding very worn, and broken, lacks spine, boards detached, worn at edges and corners, text block broken, some leaves detached, with a number of leaves chipped at margins, several leaves with loss of text, entries written in ink, in a legible hand, newspaper and magazine clippings, and illustrations were pasted over an earlier manuscript journal of unknown origin.

Description of Journal:

The manuscript journal consists of 40 pages, there are 78 pages in the volume that were turned into a  scrapbook of various clippings from newspapers or magazines that were pasted over other pages of an earlier manuscript journal, presumably not written by Sanderson, as he states that he found this volume. Some of these clippings are illustrations.

The front board of this volume has a piece of paper pasted on with the following note:

"This book was found by Cyril G. L. Sanderson March 10, 1913, aboard the old passenger steamer Vision while in the yard of Cramer Wrecking Co., Cramer Hill. The vessel was only in 3 feet of water and listing heavily to port. She looked as if her owner had left her there to rot, along with many other old time sailing and steam vessels. C.G.L. Sanderson, 433 State St., Camden, N. Jersey August 4, 1915."

The volume consists of 9 different sections that include manuscript entries and dates. Those after the March 10, 1913 date, noted above, were written by Sanderson, the earlier ones are unknown. They are listed in the order as they appear in the journal:

1. "Log Book Steamer Vision, Camden, New Jersey, 29 June to 13 Aug 1912", dated 1912, 10 manuscript pages.

2. "Log Book of the Canoe Fifty-Fifty, 1915", dated 1915, 19 manuscript pages.

3. "Sea Fairing Men of Pyne Point [NJ]," not dated c1915, 1 manuscript page.

4. "The Man in Blue," dated 1918, 1 manuscript page.

5. "Nautical Terms aboard a Sailing Vessel," dated 1915, 5 manuscript pages.

6. "International Morse Code Wireless Telegraphy", not dated, 1 manuscript page.

7. "July 31, 1920 Cruise to Cape May Point 100 miles down river", 1920, 1 manuscript page.

8. "Went out on this Sailboat on our Honeymoon, Atlantic City, June 1926", dated 1926, 1 page drawing.

9. "November 3, 1915, The Log of the Submarine," dated 1915, 1 manuscript page.

Cyril George L. Sanderson (1898-1978)

Cyril George L. Sanderson was the son of Annie C. Sanderson. Annie was born in England, about 1864, and immigrated to America in 1898. She was still listed as an alien on the 1900, 1910, and 1920 census records. In 1900, 1910 and 1920, Annie is found living with her son Cyril in Camden, New Jersey. Cyril was born Cyril George L. Sanderson in July 1898 according to his birth registration at the district of Greenwich, London.

Cyril's mother was listed as a widow in 1900 and with no occupation. In 1910, she was listed as a widow and worked as a retail merchant, at a milk depot. She had her nephew, 22 year old John Charles Fox, living with her in 1910. In 1920 Cyril was still living with his mother Annie and worked as pipefitter at a shipyard.

An online genealogy states that Cyril was born in New Jersey on 1 August 1898, and married Mary Edith Marriott (1896-1983) in 1926, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; however, other records state that both he and his mother were born in England.

Cyril was working as a printer for a publishing company in 1930 and this scrapbook mentions that he worked for the Curtis Publishing from 1923 to 1930.

Records show that Cyril lived in Camden, New Jersey from 1900 to at least 1927 when his son George Cyril Sanderson (1927-2011) was born. By the 1930 Census he is found enumerated in nearby Pennsauken, NJ, just north of Camden. In 1940 he is found working as a welder at "Ship Co." and still living at Pennsauken, where he remained until his death in nearby Merchantville, New Jersey, in April 1978.

Sample Quotations from Journal:

One interesting aspect of this volume is the various canoe trips that Sanderson records. The trips were all by canoe and the areas he traveled were Cooper's Creek, Rancocas Creek, the Delaware River, to Pyne Point, to Petty's Island, and a three day trip from Camden to Trenton, New Jersey:

"July 2, 1915, Log Book of the Canoe Fifty-Fifty, Commander; C.G.L. Sanderson, Chief Officer: Lewis Peaterson

Friday July 2nd – 15, 7:00 P.M.

Bought our 16 foot canoe on the second day of July in the year nineteen fifteen; 7:20 P.M.

Shoved our canoe over from dry dock in Michell's Boat House. Peate took bow and I took the stern. We paddled up the creek (Coopers Creek) as far as Market St. Bridge then turned around and went past boat house and out into the Delaware River, down as far as the Reading Ship Building Co. and went in Dock No. 1 where ocean tug Lykins was tied up for repairs, the captain was trying out the search light and played it on us for a few minutes and asked how it looked. Then paddled out of dock to the large passenger steamer President and wrote our initials and date above the water line on the port bow, then turned up stream and paddle to wharf, tied up at 9:15 P.M."

"Sunday July 4 – 15, 9:30 A.M.

Paddled out of creek and over to Pyne Point, took Peats brother Herbert out for a few minutes, then came in and took Orsh Moresbury out, headed up creek again till we came to Red Hill, sat around on the grass till 3:00 P.M. got in canoe and paddled out of creek and over to P. Island took a long swimg came out and tied up at wharf 5:00 P.M.

“Monday July 5 -15

Took canoe out and went over to the Island got caught in a heavy rain shower, so put our clothes under canvas and went in swimming.

11:30 A.M. Left island and went over to P. Point and watched the races till 12:30 P.M. went along side of the Torpedo boat Biddle laying of Vine St. Ferry, also Torpedo Destroyer O'Bryon, off Market St. Ferry, as we came back the Biddle was firing a salute of 21 guns.

4:30 P.M. went in swimming at Pyne Point came out and tied up 5:15 P.M.

6:30 P.M. paddled canoe over to P.P. and watched the fire works, caught several balloons and stayed out till 10:00 P.M."

The longest canoe journey made by Sanderson was when he and a friend traveled from Camden to Trenton on a three day adventure:

"Longest voyage made in our canoe from Camden to Trenton, July 25, Aug 1,22,23, 24, 1915

Sunday July 25, 1915

10:00 A.M.

Took my friend Claude aout and his friend paddled over to the Island., weather dull and stormy gray clouds, stayed over on the island all day, came home about 5:00 P.M.

Sunday August 1, 1915

Celebrated my birthday, by swimming the length of the Island at a distance of 3 ¼ miles from end to end on the Pennsy side.

August 22, 1915 Sunday

8:45 A.M. Meet Pete at Michell's Wharf and packed our kits in the bow of the canoe. Weather cloudy and a strong upriver S.W.

9:00 A.M. Left Michell's Wharf (Camden) and proceeded out of creek with wind astern as we drew into the river the wind grew very strong and a few white capped waves flew in our sides; tide just beginning to run up. Passed under Delair Bridge 9:45 passed Delanco 11:30 A.M. with wind still good and astern passed Burlington, N.J. 1:00 P.M.

1:45 P.M. Passed Burlington Island, wind grew lighter, but kept steady onward.

3:45 P.M. Passed by the Wharf of Florence, NJ  a distance of 25 miles from Camden, in 6 hours and 15 minutes sailing all the way. Wind died down at Florence , so had to shift about and paddle

3:30 P.M. landed at beautiful shore of Florence and began to look around for a suitable place to camp for the night. I climbed a high bluff over looking the river which was very calm and clear. As I climbed to the top I came in full view of about a dozen girls, so I asked them if there was a suitable place to camp. They told me that if I wanted to camp there I would have to pay the sum of $5.00 dollars whether for one day or one year. So I climbed down again and informed my companion whereas we decided that we would moved up further on the river, we paddled along shore here and there but could not find a decent place till at last in the distance we made out an island which was opposite Bordentown, NJ. and as we drew near we found it unoccupied , so got out and investigated the ground. We found it a very nice place, with tall thickly woods in the back ground, so hauled up canoe and pitched tent, after having our supper we went 6:30 P.M. after covering a distance of 30 miles in one day."

Another long trip was when he traveled up the Rancocas Creek, traveling ten miles up the creek from the Delaware River, this trip is recorded over several pages.