Wells, Bezaleel
Conditions of Sale & Commissioner’s Report Relative to Canton

folio, 3 pages, and docketing on rear blank leaf, old folds, some splitting along folds, bottom edge chipped, old tape repairs to blank leaf, else good.

$ 300.00 | Contact Us >
Canton, Ohio was named and laid out in 1805 by Bezaleel Wells, a surveyor and one of the proprietors of the town. The manuscript lists the terms and conditions under which lots in the proposed settlement of Canton would be sold. The terms of these prospective sales are followed by a series of land transfers and the agreement that Canton would be the county seat of Stark County, dated 1806, 1808 and 1812, the land was donated by Bezaleel Wells. The document, dated 21 February 1812 has the original or secretarial signatures of Bezaleel Wells, and Elijah Wadsworth and Eli Baldwin, two pioneers in the area, and members of a commission appointed by the Ohio legislature to fix the county seat of Stark County.